Friday, January 10, 2014

Collecting Glassware to Dolls: Evolution of a Collector




As I prepare for the Boston Antiques and Design Show and Sale, the Book and Paper Show in Wilmington, as well as browsing the catalogue of items to be auctioned by Theriaults in California, I can trace the evolution of my collecting.


As a child I adored books and continue to do so as an adult.  Books can be read, can be ued for decorating, and may be valuable.






I have many interests in life. It is no wonder that I eagerly await to see what treasures and perhaps an affordable first edition of one of the classics might be at the Book and Paper Show.  It will be a success if I find even a postcard or advertising card that speaks to me. 


My interest in textiles and fashion, current and past, has kindled my interest in early fashion magazine such as Godey Magazine and Ladies Home Journal.  Some of the earliest magazines devoted to womens issues. 


Godey Magazine 1832


From my earlier days of collecting glassware and porcelain, it was an easy transition to collecting china head and porcelain dolls. 



China Head Couple


    
R.S. Prussia Creamer & Sugar




Till Next time stay well, stay happy

Auctionmom80@gmail.com

www.antiquesattheirongate.com



www.threadflip.com/Threads 





No comments:

Post a Comment