Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Buying At an Online Real Time Auction

Well... today is the day I have prepared for.  The auction is in the Midwest so there is a bit of time difference.  I need to set an alarm to notify me when I need to  sit in my reserved seat in front of the computer.

Let's review the steps I have taken to prepare for this day.  I looked through the online catalogue quickly at first.  Then I selected the categories from their listings that I wanted to look at more closely.  I looked at the pics of items that sounded interesting or I was interested in looking at further. Next step I wrote the Lot number of the item.  I rechecked some pics wrote some more Lot  numbers down and crossed off some other Lots.

Some auction houses post the starting bid, it can go lower to start depending upon the bidders' response.  This auction house does not list starting bids, because they have an audience in real time and on the Internet the auctioneer starts where he thinks the item should start at.  I wrote a bid range
next to each item on my list.  I determined the range based upon my current knowledge of pricing and items.  But I did not stop there.

I hit the books!  The antiques and collectible price guides Collectible Books that is.  They are an essential source of information and great for fully illustrated pictures and even history about some items.  Prioritized my list and placed the list next to the computer where it waits for the auction to start.   There were some larger items that would not fit through a mail slot, no need to worry if I am the winning bid.  Auction houses have the names of companies that ship long distances, usually at a very fair price.


Talk with you after the auction.  Till then stay well, stay happy.
     
www.antiquesattheirongate.com
 

 
 



 



 



Collectible Books                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment