Friday, July 19, 2013

Buying on Internet Auctions
I was first introduced to online auctions in 1998.  At that time very few folks had computers in their homes no less knew about what computers could do for buying and selling of merchandise, new or used.  I did not have my own computer but our school would allow us to sign a school computer out over the weekend.  That is how I got my start.

There were few sites in those days, but the one that I turned to, I don't know if there were any others really, was the one I have remained with since 1998.  When I mastered the sign on and registration part it was all rather scary since they asked for information, none that was confidential but at that time folks were not accustomed to typing in their name, clicking submit, and left to wonder how many places it would go to in a virtually new world.

I was a shopper from a very young age, having a sister who was in the fashion industry and a mother who was as well.  I browsed the categories of items for sale, set my favorites, compared prices, shipping fees.  As the saying goes, I won some and I lost some.  But what I quickly learned  there were always more items to view and bid on.

My strategy for bidding

When I browse through the items in the category I am currently interested in I immediately look at the pics.  Are there sufficient pics to see the item from all angles, if that is important.  I read the item particulars, new or used, condition.  Condition is very important and there are keywords an experienced seller will use to describe the condition of the item they are selling.  More about that at another time.   Of course I check the price and make quick calculation of what the top bid I would place. Then...I go to the seller's information page to see what other items they are selling, to check what other folks have said about their purchases, if they have a bio I read that, it is usually short and that's OK.  If I have a question about anything  about the item, return policy , even ask for more pics sometimes, I email the seller.  When I get a response and it is to my satisfaction then I will place  my top bid.  At that point I walk away and wait to be notified if I am the winner.,  Why do I not keep checking in...because I have found that bidding fever develops when a bidder keeps checking in to see how the bidding war is going and that often results in bidding more than you intended, and  that leads to buyers remorse.

Hope you have found my strategy helpful.  I would love to hear from others how they approach auctions.   Happy bidding! 


Appraisals Only $9.95

 

wwwwhatsitworthtoyou.com

No comments:

Post a Comment