Monday, December 9, 2013

Business Cards: Modern Version of Victorian Trade Cards


Favorite Ephemera Collectibles  


Victorian Trading Cards

I have always adored art and pictures.  My world is full of beautiful eye candy. As a child   more so collected business cards from the places I visited. I continue to collect business cards as an adult. 


Victorian trade cards are the equivalent of the modern day business card. 


The earliest known trade card was produced in 1727 for a bookstore owned by an uncle of John Hancock. Early cards, some of which were produced by Paul Revere were largely black and white. 

 
Color trade cards made their debut at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, 1876.  These colored trade cards delighted exhibition attendees.  This marked the beginning of the Golden Age of trade cards,which lasted until 1900.


During this Golden Era trade cards were mailed to potential customers, placed on counters in stores, and accompanied purchased goods packed after purchase. 


Any company or service company that had business with the public had trade cards produced to advertise their products and services.  The brightly colored and  charming images of children and animals were frequently used on the cards.  The name of the company was sometimes on the back of the card, sometimes written across the front.  


I especially like collecting trade cards of companies that I am familiar with like Larkin Soap, or Clarke sewing.  Sometimes it is the picture that captures my attention and heart.  I regard Victorian Trade Cards as miniature works of art created for the purpose of advertising an selling. 


I have selected a few of my favorites for your viewing pleasure!  











Till Next Time, Stay Well, Say Happy             


auctionmom80@gmail.com
www.antiquesattheirongate.com

No comments:

Post a Comment